Header Photo

Header Photo

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Missed Opportunity

This morning I missed a privileged opportunity. I had the perfect time and the perfect place selected to meet the ultimate Life Coach. We were scheduled to meet on the dock of our lake, located about 1.5 miles away from our house. This spot is perfect for meditating, reading, writing, and conversing. The only sounds to be heard are the twittering of birds and the occasional splash of a fish breaking the lake's surface. A peace prevails there, especially in the early morning when the mist is rising from the water and the sun is parting the curtains of the day. A perfect venue for meeting such a phenomenal mentor.

I got up when my alarm beeped at 6:00A.M., but by the time I had stalled in the kitchen making coffee, searched for the car keys, thrown on my sweats (I mean, really, how long should that take), gathered my Bible and writing materials, and... oh, yeah... checked a couple of e-mails, it was 7:15 before I made the arrival at the dock.

I was aware that this was no ordinary Life Coach. I mean, this is the Coach of all Coaches. A I sat there for brief time of solitude and reflection, and I pondered some of the extraordinary promises that He had made to me. For example...

He promised that I would never have a need that He wouldn't supply (Phil.4:19).

He promised me success (Prov. 16:3).

He promised me peace of mind (John 14:27).

He promised I'd have joy (John 16:24).

He promised He'd protect me (Psalm 91).

He promised me strength (Psalm 18:32).

He promised the He would always be there for me (Heb.13:5).

He promised that He would always answer my calls (Jer.33:3).

He promised that I could have an audience with Him 24/7 (Heb. 4:16).

He promised that if I would draw near to Him, He would draw near to me (Jas. 4:8).

His services are free and His love is perfect.

And I missed some prime time that I could have spent with Him. In a short 45 minutes, someone appeared to measure the dock for sunscreens. Then I had to hurry home to dress for an appointment...and the day flew by. I thought about a song that was recorded by Larnelle Harris several years ago. It's called "I Miss My Time With You." The words always bring a pang of remorse when I neglect opportunities like today.

There He was just waiting
In our old familiar place
An empty spot beside Him
Where once I used to wait

To be filled with strength and wisdom
For the battle of the day
I would've passed Him by again
But I clearly heard Him say

I miss My time with you
Those moments together
I need to be with you each day
And it hurts me when you say
You're too busy, busy trying to serve Me
But how can you serve Me
When your spirit's empty
There's a longing in My heart
Wanting more than just a part of you
It's true
I miss My time with you

What will I have to offer
How can I truly care
My efforts have no meaning
When your presence isn't there
But You'll provide the power
If I take time to pray
So Ill stay right here beside You
And you'll never have to say

"I miss my time with you."

No comments:

Our Family 2015

Our Family 2015