Header Photo

Header Photo

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Compelled to Write

I'm writing this morning because I am compelled to. Not that I've had multiple requests for postings (I wish!), but because I can't be content not to. The urge to let out whatever is trapped inside me won't go away. In the May/June 2010 edition of "Writer's Digest," Anne Lamott says about writing, "It's absolutely the most important thing you can do if that thing is inside you, tugging on your sleeve, hoping you'll notice it there, urging you to be one of the storytellers." It's there with me all right, like a child pulling on my clothes until I notice him.

I also attended a writer's workshop this past weekend, led by Penny Whipps, a literary agent and veteran in the publishing industry. Not that I expect to be published, but I went for two reasons: to accompany a close friend, and to be exposed to others who share my passion. In the seminar, Penny stressed the importance of tapping into the social network. I haven't given in yet to Facebook, etc., and everybody seems to have a blog. I stopped writing in this one because nobody read it (not even my children). But I know it's time to get back in public writing. I can express my feelings easily in my journal, but the challenge of penning something that anybody can see is intimidating. Nevertheless, I'm doing it. This is like spending endless hours shooting free throws after basketball practice. My skills will improve; my confidence will rise, and who knows? I might even post on Facebook!

No comments:

Our Family 2015

Our Family 2015