Header Photo

Header Photo

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

How old would you be...?

We just celebrated our oldest son's 41st birthday. Have mercy! My children are almost my age! Burt and I met him and his middle brother at the Cheesecake Factory for brunch Sunday morning. We sat there discussing their plans for business, their present circumstances (both still single), but most importantly, what the Lord was showing and teaching them, and I realized I was seeing the mandate God gave me years ago coming to fruition: "Your purpose is to rear five godly men." Before we ordered I asked them to pray for me because I didn't feel well. By the time our bountiful meal arrived, I had relaxed in the comfort of their love and the awareness of their confidence that God would handle my need. (I've learned that my boys get distressed if they think I'm not okay, and it's a thin line between asking them to pray for me and reassuring them I'm fine.)

Maybe I was stressed because I wanted to convey the message to them (especially the Birthday Boy) that age shouldn't determine attitude. I gave him a card that expressed that sentiment. On the front it read, "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?" I told them I'd be 29, because I still think like that. I still believe I have a life before me, the opportunities are unlimited, and there are people that need me and want to hear what I have to say! I feel that I'm about to embark on a new career! I'm in a new season of life, and it's wonderful! And their 75-year-old dad feels the same way!

I love the renewing that comes with the Spirit of the living God living inside us. Do I get tired sometimes? Well yeah. But I did when I was 29 as well. I see every day now just as I did then: full of possibilities, more to do than I can accomplish without some divine assistance. Isn't that exactly what He promised us? Isaiah 40:29-31 says, "Even youths will become exhausted, and young men will give up. But those who wait on the Lord will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint."

At this point in the journey, I feel like we're all the same age. We're on a road and we're walking abreast, arms linked, advancing together. If one of us stumbles, the others are there to steady him or her and we keep going. I'm basking in the strength that comes from knowing we are all being renewed and energized as the Holy Spirit brings us all into maturity, the maturity that is measured by our likeness to Christ, not by how many birthdays we've celebrated.

So here I am, 29 and holding!!!

1 comment:

Amber said...

I'm glad you posted this! I think I'll always be 23! :) You're a wonderful writer and teacher of the Truth! We love you!

Our Family 2015

Our Family 2015